One of the biggest issues I have faced so far in my Walk is that of evolution versus creationism. I came to NAU believing evolution and Genesis’s account of creation were one and the same. I believed that God used evolution to create all the plants and animals, and eventually after millions of years of dying and genetic differentiation, humans were created. I believed that creating everything in 6 days was more figurative than literal; I thought that since God is God, why couldn’t he crush millions of years of evolution into 6, 24 hour days? Or, were the days even 24 hours long? I thought that we as humans were letting the literal definition of DAY get in the way of the evolution that seemed so logical to me. Now I see and understand that I was very wrong.
Scientifically, a lot of things make sense, but we as Christians have to choose to believe that God’s Word is the ultimate truth. Biblically, creation may not make sense to us. Evolution, from a scientist’s perspective and even mine sometimes, makes so much more sense that what God tells us in Genesis, but God also calls us to have faith and believe, even though we can’t see or understand. We are merely humans and are subjected to the limits of a human mind. The science behind this takes more to disprove or reveal holes in than just a debate or argument with a professor. Because I looked at this issue from a scientific perspective up until about January, I was offended when my Christian friends tried to disprove the science that made sense to me. I struggled with this a lot and felt very hurt as first when my Christian community challenged me to open my eyes to Truth. I didn’t want people telling me that what I’ve researched and learned about my whole life is false. But I needed these mentors, the books they loaned to me, and the Bible to tell and remind me of God’s sovereignty. I needed these people to tell me that, although I may not understand, God’s Word is the Truth. This mentoring, sometimes gentle and sometimes rather harsh, taught me that I should be focusing on, not the errors in science, but in God’s call for us to believe, even though we cannot or will constantly find difficulty in understanding Creation.
Once I accepted God’s infallible and inerrant account of creation in Genesis, I started to see holes in science. One, for example, was the evolutionary argument for the intricate system of capillaries and other blood vessels in the body. The way science explains it is almost like, “Poof! All of a sudden a collection of random genetic mutations formed these millions of microscopic tubules that conduct blood throughout the entire body perfectly, no flaws, no missing connections.” However, I came to understand that Christians can throw all the evidence they want in people’s faces, but scientists can throw it right back. I think we should direct our focus to God’s sovereignty and what He calls us to believe, rather than trying to disprove science by mere evidence and facts restricted by our limits as humans to comprehend God.
One of my classes this past semester focused entirely on evolution as a basis for every animal and person on earth, and it was just amazing to truly see the gaps and limits of our understanding. Our Creator is so much bigger and more complex than our human minds can or ever will be able to comprehend. I also came to realize that I don't need to understand why science often seems contrary to what the Bible teaches. We know as Christians what we are called to believe, and instead of trying to put God in a box that we as humans are able to comprehend, we should accept that God is completely sovereign and created the world exactly this way on purpose. So evolution and creationism don't mesh? Well, God wrote a Book for us outlining Creation and I choose to believe it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Katherine,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Sounds like you have been doing a lot of deep thinking about this issue and I think its really cool to see how God has been working in your life. Keep going!